At Wellness Works Home Health, our Speech Therapy team provides services for home-bound adults of all ages including the geriatric population. Our team of Licensed Speech Therapists is responsible for evaluation and treatment of any speech and language disorders including swallowing disorders as a result from illness, aging or disability.
Speech Therapy (ST) focuses on receptive language, the ability to understand words spoken to you, and expressive language, the ability to use words to express yourself. In addition, Speech Therapy offers treatment to many speech/language disorders.
Speech disorders include the following problems, according to the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA):
- Articulation disorders include difficulties producing sounds in syllables or saying words incorrectly to the point that other people can’t understand what’s being said.
- Fluency disorders include problems such as stuttering, the condition in which the flow of speech is interrupted by abnormal stoppages, repetitions (st-st-stuttering), or prolonging sounds and syllables (ssssstuttering).
- Resonance or voice disorders include problems with the pitch, volume, or quality of the voice that distract listeners from what’s being said. These types of disorders may also cause pain or discomfort for the child when speaking.
- Dysphasia/oral feeding disorders, including difficulties with eating and swallowing.
- Language disorders can be either receptive or expressive:
- Receptive disorders refer to difficulties understanding or processing language.
- Expressive disorders include difficulty putting words together, limited vocabulary, or inability to use language in a socially appropriate way.
Through the use of a family-centered care approach, we work closely with Physicians, Case Managers, Discharge Planners and families to implement the best plan of care for optimum clinical outcomes.
In addition, our team offers services for home-bound adults of all ages and addresses the following areas:
Please call us today at (818) 392-5883 or fax Physician orders to (818) 760-6678.